What Kind of Therapist Should My Child See?

Find a specialist you are comfortable with

Instead of bringing your child to a general child therapist, look for a professional therapist or counselor who works primarily with children who have been sexually abused, and who has specialized training and experience treating sexually abused children. There are national and local organizations that can help you find therapists for children, as well as crisis centers and child advocacy programs.

Some families choose to consult with their pediatrician; others prefer to find someone on their own. It is important that you feel that the professional who will be working with your child is someone you trust and feel is a good “fit” for your child. You can ask questions or request an initial consultation just for you before you bring your child in for their first appointment.