Reporting Child Sexual Abuse
If you suspect a child is being sexually abused, getting the proper help and support is vital. Typically, the situations that require reporting are:
- A child and/or adult shows numerous and consistent warning signs of abuse or being at risk to abuse
- A child has stated that they are being abused by an adult
- A child has stated that another child has been engaging in sexually harmful behaviors with them
- A child states that they have sexually harmed another child
- An adult has stated that they have sexually abused a child
- An individual has become aware of child sexual abuse material (child pornography) online
- An adult is aware of another adult or child who is viewing child sexual abuse material
If an adult who is responsible for caring for a child is suspected of sexually abusing a child, then the local child protection services should be contacted. If an adult who is not in a caregiving position with a child is suspected of sexual abuse, the local police should be notified. Concerns about child pornography can be reported to either the local police or cyber crime tiplines.
- What is Child Protective Services?
- When and How to File a Report
- Who is Required to File a Report?
- Mandated Reporters
- When Must a Therapist File a Report?
- Making the Difficult Decision
- What Might Happen When I File a Report?
Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Numbers By State (Child Welfare Information Gateway)
A listing of phone numbers by state to call and report child abuse.
Provides 24/7 assistance in 170 languages to adults, children and youth with information and questions regarding child abuse. All calls are anonymous and confidential.
CyberTipline (1.800.843.5678) (National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)
National reporting hotline for internet safety.
Homeland Security Investigations Tip Form
Form to report CSAM, CSA, Trafficking to Homeland Security.
INHOPE: International Association of Internet Hotlines
International directory of resources for reporting concerning online content.
Virtual Global Taskforce
Reporting internet sexual abuse crimes against children.