Penn State: Prevention = No More Victims
How the Sandusky-Penn State case can keep children safe from abuse
"This story is a call to action to all adults to step up to keeping children safe from sexual harm. It is not about one individual, one system that failed to protect, or one college scandal."
Since the story broke last week, Stop It Now! has been speaking out and responding to media with a focus on how this case can be a catalyst for national commitment to preventing the sexual abuse of children. We are helping adults focus on what they can do to prevent child sexual abuse in their own lives and communities.
- Read our commentary "From Outrage to Action: Commentary on the Penn State-Sandusky Case."
- Read Stop It Now!'s coverage in the news.
Join with us to help build a national conversation that's focused on preventing child sexual abuse. Subscribe to our e-list, contact us, follow on Twitter (@stopitnow), and connect on Facebook. Together we CAN prevent the sexual abuse of children. It's not inevitable.
Learn how you can keep children safe
- Where to report and what to consider if you're not sure
- Help for child victims, their families
- What parents can do to keep children safe
- How to recognize and respond to early warning sign behaviors
- Support for people who were sexually abused in childhood
- How to make organizations safer for children
Take a FREE Webinar on Preventing Child Sexual Abuse
Wondering what you can do to keep children safe from sexual abuse? Learn tips and ideas for taking action individually and in your community. Participate in the free "Awareness to Action: Preventing Child Sexual Abuse" webinar on December 1, 2011, 1:00 pm Eastern. Register for this webinar. Learn more.
Tell Feds to Require Abuse Prevention for Youth Programs
- "When abusers are 'like us,' how can they be stopped?" MSNBC (November 11, 2011)
- "Penn State abuse scandal and what parents can do" Washington Post (November 7, 2011)
- "Penn State sex scandal raises questions about NJ law" New Jersey 101.5 (November 10, 2011)
- "Penn State scandal sparks discussion about signs of child sex abuse" USA Today (November 10, 2011)
- "Warning signs of sexual abuse often overlooked" CNN (November 11, 2011)
- "Misconceptions make sex abuse offenders difficult to detect" USA Today (November 15, 2011)
- "Despite scandal, US makes headway vs. sex abuse" Associated Press (December 12, 2011)
- "Penn State case brings new victims forward" CBS News (November 18, 2011)
- Interview of Deborah Donovan Rice, Executive Director, CNN Newsroom
- Interview of Sarita Hudson, Director of Public Engagement, CNN Español
- "Ponying Up: the truth about child sex offenders" Rate My Horse Pro (November 18, 2011)
- "Resources exist for victims" Centre Daily Times (State College, PA) (November 16, 2011)
- "Child-protection laws under scrutiny in wake of scandals" CNN (November 18, 2011)
- Interview of Yvonne Cournoyer, Program Director on KARE TV (Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN) minute 14:00 (November 15, 2011)
- "Roundup of sex-abuse allegations" CNN (November 18, 2011)
- "Be diligent when entrusting your children to others" The Herald-Times (Bloomington IN) (December 11, 2011)
- "Battling child abuse" The Columbia Chronicle (November 28, 2011)
- "Foul Play: The Truth Behind Child Abuse in Sports" The Columbia Chronicle (November 28, 2011)
- "Silence common in child sexual abuse cases" USA Today (December 6, 2011)
- "Stopping Child Abuse" Radio Bilingüe (December 7, 2011)
- "Child Abuse Prevention" Sports News Politics Radio (podcast minute 59:53) (December 23, 2011)
Friends of Stop It Now! speaking out
- "The Penn State child rape case and male victims of sexual violence" DailyKos (November 8, 2010)
- Don McPherson, "The myth of the 'monster' pedophilei," commentary, CNN (November 9, 2011)
- Steve Brown (commentary) "Preventing and reporting child abuse: the questions raised by the Penn State scandal" RH Reality Check (November 10, 2011)
- Rachel Bates, "Help stop child abuse" Letter to the editor, Salt Lake City Deseret News (November 11, 2011)
- "Here's how you can be part of ending child sexual abuse" DailyKos (November 11, 2011)
- Rev. Debra Haffner, Religious Institute November 2011 Newsletter
- Paula Kiger, "Be that adult" Perspicacity (November 13, 2011)
- "National Childrens Advocacy Center (NCAC) Responds to Penn State Scandal" PRNewswire (November 15, 2011)
- Andrea Goldberg, "Reflections on the Penn State Sexual Abuse Scandal and a Call to Action" From Where I Stand (November 16, 2011)
- "Heroux: Protecting Kids from Pedophiles" (The Metro West Daily News) (November 18, 2011)
- Gretl Claggett, "My Letter to Jerry Sandusky, Coward" Daily Beast (December 1, 2011)
- Patti Skelton-McGougan, "Taking responsibility to stop sexual abuse in children" Bellevue Reporter (December 1, 2011)
- Norman Friedman, "Give your child the ability to prevent sexual abuse" Lower Hudson Valley (December 8, 2011)
- Amy Pybus, "Steps that can protect children from abuse" Daily Hampshire Gazette (December 8, 2011)
- Andrea Goldberg, "Lessons from the Syracuse University Sexual Abuse Scandal" From Where I Stand (December 27, 2011)
- National Coalition to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse & Exploitation, "From Penn State to Prevention"