April is Child Sexual Abuse Prevention ACTION month
April is Child Abuse Prevention and Sexual Assault Awareness Month. It's the month each year when we join with you to redouble our efforts to keep children safe so they never experience sexual abuse. As parents, as professionals and in our organizations, institutions, and communities, TOGETHER we CAN prevent child sexual abuse.
What you can do now!
- Participate in our FREE webinar "How Understanding and Responding to Children's Sexual Behaviors Can Prevent Child Sexual Abuse"
- Plan for Summer Safety if you're a parent or program administrator.
- Link to 10 Things to Remember When You Talk with Kids about Sexuality to promote the 2012 theme of healthy sexuality.
- Sign our petition that calls for U.S. federal agencies to require prevention policies for youth-serving organizations.
- Connect on Twitter and Facebook to speak out and share tools for action.
- Shop our online store for tip cards, posters, bracelets and more.
- DONATE to pay for more FREE resources and guidance to adults, families and communities.
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). The National Sexual Violence Resource Center has SAAM resources, tip sheets and suggestions for activities. This 2012 campaign theme promoting healthy sexuality to prevent sexual violence.
- Child Abuse Prevention Month. The Child Welfare Information Gateway has a Network for Action 2012 Resource Guide with information on protective factors, resources for communities, tip sheets for parents and caregivers, and more.
What others are doing
Here are some of the ways readers of our e-News took action in 2011 to honor April as Child Abuse Prevention and Sexual Assault Awareness month.
- “I sent the webinar info to my friends, and I forward your notices as well. I am trying to spread the word and get my circle educated on how to stop the horrific abuse that happens under our noses every day.
- “I posted information from your site to my Facebook page.”
- “I did community education on how to prevent child sexual assault.”
- “We hosted two Lunch-n-Learn trainings that were free of charge to participants, and a huge success! We also put up tables with helpful tips, information and give-a-ways for one day at each of our three hospital campuses and our office park location, to share the message with patients, families and staff. “
- “In the month of April we host an annual 5k/10k Run and walk - with your help, we have provided hope, healing and wholeness to those impacted by neglecti, sexual, physical and emotional abuse.”